Friday, March 20, 2009

The 19th Wife: a commentary on fashion....

NOT. This has absolutely nothing to do with fashion or shopping...but let me make a connection here and spew on my conclusions. I read this book, 'The 19th Wife' (pub. 2008). This is a part of my chosen religions past that I have only glazed over for fear of driving me into an endless and incurable spiral of loathing. That said, I have only pictured in my mind what has been delievered from the media...braids, little house on the prairie clothing (this is the only connection to fashion/shopping so stop looking :), BIG LOVE on HBO, and highly artileried fortresses in the middle of BFE. After reading this book...I have to be greateful for the current state of affairs we live. Because it could be worse...much worse. I could be a 19th wife.

I cannot begin to understand the conditions under which these women lived. There were some, obviously opposed to it when it began and then there are those, who still find liberation in plural marriage (?!?). I have come to conclude that I cannot ever understand this, but this book reminds me that our leaders are still human and men...double meaning intended here.

In this vein of thought (the historical and current repression of women), I was reading a blog tonight, that I have never read...and probably won't ever read again, but I found a quote on this blog from a Professor Laurel Ulrich who birthed the phrase "Well-behaved women seldom make history." And to that I must say - screw that, lets every woman everywhere make history. Let us all misbehave in this sense. I abhor the thought of (self or socially) imposed norms of behavior. Sure, there are moral norms that any bi-ped should innately follow. Although we are governed by universal truths, how can we expect progress or growth in any sense of the words by falling into line. A line, premeditated and cultivated by someone other than yourself. Sure, lets use the gospel and the teachings as the path, but I guarantee you the road is wide enough to fit a double team of oxen....and you can skip or run like Phoebe as you should like, making history.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Awesome. Loved that post! You hit the nail on the head.